Picture this: Warm buttery caramel drizzling down a mountain of ice cream, or pooling gracefully in a buttery tart…don’t you just sigh with satisfaction at the mere thought of it?
As a home chef and a dessert aficionado, I feel it’s my duty to introduce you to this heavenly salted caramel sauce!
What makes it extra special?
No heavy cream!
That’s right, you get all the luxurious taste and texture of regular caramel without stocking up on cream.
Let’s hold hands and dive into this salted caramel wonderland, shall we?
5 Reasons You’ll Love This Salted Caramel Sauce Without Cream
- It’s oh-so-easy: Keeping it simple and tasty is the name of the game, and this sauce is your star player. A few pantry staples, a saucepan, and you’re good to go! Trust me, amateur chefs can whip this up like a pro!
- Wallet-friendly: You don’t need to break the bank for this decadent delight. No fancy cream or imported caramel, just use what’s in your pantry to achieve culinary nirvana.
- Quick fix: Want a rich caramel experience? Got a surprise guest? Need a last-minute dessert sauce? This salted caramel sauce is your savior. A total lifesaver when dessert cravings strike!
- Versatility galore: From drizzling over ice cream to being an awesome dip for fruits, a filling for pastries, or even as a fancy (and I mean fancy with jazz hands) latte topping, this sauce wears many hats with confidence and lusciousness.
- Unforgettable taste: Sweet, salty, oh-so buttery – words that will always come to mind when you think about your first taste of this salted caramel sauce. Love at first lick!
Equipment You’ll Need
Let’s get ready to rumblllleeee, but first, gather these trusty tools:
- A saucepan: To concoct your wonderful liquid gold.
- A wooden spoon: For all that stirring, trust me, there’s a lot of it.
- A heatproof glass jar: To store your magical potion.
- Measuring cups and spoons: To get your portions just right.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Once you’ve assembled your culinary tools, it’s time to gather the kitchen wizards that’ll create this caramel masterpiece.
- ½ cup unsalted butter (cubed): The buttery maestro that binds it all together.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar: The sweet umpire of this delicious game.
- ¼ cup milk: The star substitute for cream, offering a velvety twist.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract: A supporting actor with an enchanting aroma.
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, sea salt, or to taste: The little zing that brings everything to life!
How To Make Salted Caramel Sauce Without Cream
- Step 1: Melt, my precious – Place the heavenly cubes of unsalted butter into a saucepan and let them melt to their hearts’ content on medium-low heat.
- Step 2: Time to sweeten the pot – Toss in the brown sugar and milk, cranking the heat up to medium. Stir the mixture with the tenacity of a culinary superhero, until it transforms into a boiling cauldron of deliciousness. Time your boiling perfectly for 2 minutes, and the caramel gods shall be pleased!
- Step 3: Infuse the flavors – Remove your precious potion from the heat, summoning the power of vanilla extract and salt into the mix. As it cools, feel free to add a pinch more salt to taste, ensuring this potion’s enchantment lasts forever.
- Step 4: Jar of joy – Carefully pour the luscious, gooey caramel into a jar, allowing it to cool slightly before using. Cover and store in the fridge if you haven’t devoured it by the end of the day.
5 Tips and Tricks for the Best Cream-Free Salted Caramel Sauce
- Stir, stir, stir: I cannot emphasize this enough, my culinary comrades! Constant stirring ensures that your sauce doesn’t burn or stick to the bottom, so keep that spoon moving like a masterful symphony conductor.
- It’s all about the bubbles: Watch for a gentle, rolling boil. Too low, and your caramel won’t thicken; too high, and you risk burning your beautiful creation.
- Taste as you go: Each taste bud is different, so once your caramel cools a bit, adjust the salt levels to suit your unique palate adventure.
- Embrace the separation: Sometimes, caramel can be a finicky friend, and the butter and sugar separate. Fear not! Just stir it or shake it, like a bartender shaking a cocktail, to reincorporate the ingredients.
- Gentle reheating: Chilled caramel could become thicker than your ideal drizzling consistency. Worry not! A few seconds in the microwave, followed by a stir, will bring it back to life.
Salted Caramel Sauce Recipe Variations
- Spice it up: Whisk in a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg, or even cayenne pepper for a delightful flavor twist!
- Bolder, deeper: Use dark brown sugar instead of light brown sugar for a more intense caramel taste.
- Extra creamy: You can always add a splash of cream or a dollop of sour cream at the end, after removing from the heat, for an even richer, creamier version.
- Adult indulgence: Stir in a shot of bourbon or rum after taking the caramel off the heat for a little extra kick.
- Espresso delight: Add 1-2 teaspoons of instant espresso powder to introduce a lovely coffee kick to your sauce.
How To Store, Freeze, And Reheat Salted Caramel Sauce
- Store: Once cooled, give your caramel a tight lid and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Remember to give it a good stir before drizzling over your favorite dessert!
- Freeze: Allow your caramel to cool completely, then transfer it into a freezer-safe container, leaving a little room for it to expand. Freeze for up to 3 months, and thaw overnight in the fridge before use.
- Reheat: When you’re ready to embrace the warm, gooey goodness, give your refrigerated or thawed caramel sauce a quick spin in the microwave for a few seconds, stirring well afterwards.
Salted Caramel Sauce Without Cream
- A saucepan
- A wooden spoon
- A heatproof glass jar
- Measuring cups and spoons
- ½ cup unsalted butter (cubed)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp kosher salt, sea salt, or to taste
- Place the heavenly cubes of unsalted butter into a saucepan and let them melt to their hearts’ content on medium-low heat.
- Toss in the brown sugar and milk, cranking the heat up to medium. Stir the mixture with the tenacity of a culinary superhero, until it transforms into a boiling cauldron of deliciousness. Time your boiling perfectly for 2 minutes, and the caramel gods shall be pleased!
- Remove your precious potion from the heat, summoning the power of vanilla extract and salt into the mix. As it cools, feel free to add a pinch more salt to taste, ensuring this potion’s enchantment lasts forever.
- Carefully pour the luscious, gooey caramel into a jar, allowing it to cool slightly before using. Cover and store in the fridge if you haven’t devoured it by the end of the day.
- Keep a vigilant eye on your caramel while it’s boiling. If it starts to foam up and threatens to overflow, simply lift the saucepan off the heat for a moment, allowing the mixture to settle before returning it to the heat.
- Feel free to experiment with different salt levels to suit your taste. Just remember that fine salt will dissolve quicker than coarse salt – so make sure to taste as you go!
- Always use a larger saucepan than you think you might need. This will give you plenty of room to stir and avoid potential boil overs.
Ben, a culinary enthusiast and owner of RelishedRecipes.com, shares his passion for food and cooking through delectable recipes and valuable tips. Ben delights in exploring international cuisines and inspiring home cooks on their culinary journeys.